Italian White Wine

Greco di Tufo

Greco di Tufo

Greco di Tufo, Excellence in White

Greco di Tufo is an excellent Italian white wine from the region of Campania, the area of Avellino, with origins in ancient Greece, hence the term “Greco“. This sought after Italian wine boasts the coveted DOCG guaranteed origin mark, and is known for its perfumed bouquet, and persistent palate with notes of citrus and almonds. First impact is of freshness and slight acidity, followed by well-structured fruity finish.

Greco di Tufo is a masterpiece perfect for pairing with a number of foods, including fish and porcini mushrooms. It is unique among Italy’s white wine in that it is one of the few that can be aged. The grape variety of the same name must reach 85% of composition, with the remaining 15% blended with the Coda di volpe bianca varietal. However, it is not uncommon to find it pure with winemakers such as Cantine di Marzo, Le Masciare or Villa Raiano.

The local claylike limestone soil, or tufo, rigorously volcanic, is the support for vines between 5 and 20 years old, treating each golden cluster of fruit to a relatively dry microclimate. Authenticity and tradition provide a historic flavor that is still able to conquer refined palates today.

About the author

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.