HomeRestaur-ActionFood Delivery for 1 out of 3 Italians. Consumer expectations

Food Delivery for 1 out of 3 Italians. Consumer expectations

One in three Italians buys food on the platforms of food delivery. Consumption increases, as already noted in Eurispes report Italia 2020, but also expectations.

food delivery, a growing market

37% of Italians order the delivery of meals at home, using the app di food delivery by phone or computer. The data emerges from theColdiretti-Censis analysis, prepared on the occasion of the publication of the new Istat basket. Where this year - among the reference goods and services for the calculation of inflation - also the food delivery and sushi take away.

The market of the food delivery - dominated by platforms such as Just Eat, Glovo, Foodora, Deliveroo, Bacchette Forchette, Uber Eats, to name the most famous - it already has 18,9 million Italians. Of these, 3,8 million buy food at home regularly, another 15,1 million only occasionally. And it keeps growing, as it had already been noted in 2019.

The question it is driven by the Italians' unwillingness to cook and tidy up the kitchen every day (57,3%). This is followed by the convenience of receiving friends and relatives at home without having to stay in the kitchen (34,1%) and sharing original dishes.

The expectations of Italian consumers

The analysis of the Censis it also highlights how the spread of consumption is accompanied by a growing expectation on the part of Italian consumers. Against the large platforms of food delivery, but also of their suppliers. In fact, the requests concern:

- respect for rights of the work of RIDERS, the bellhops (38,1%),

- the guarantee of safety food during the transport phases of food, to avoid contamination and preserve the quality of the food (28%),

- the quality of ingredients employed in the preparation of meals (25,3%),

- the short supply chain, namely the use of typical products and the use of local suppliers (17,7%).

The environmental impact of the service food delivery unfortunately it was not considered. And it deserves just as much attention, considering:

- the systematic use of disposable plastic items (dishes), shortly, among other things, prohibited,

- the widespread use of aluminum trays, unsuitable among other things to come into contact with certain categories of food, as seen,

- L 'air pollution caused by the use of non-electric delivery vehicles.

The evolution of the service home delivery, meanwhile, goes beyond ready meals. According to the Delivery Report 2019 of the Spanish company Glovo, which delivers various kinds of products in over 100 Italian cities, orders have grown by 247% compared to 2018.

The requests they are concentrated on weekdays. 66% of orders are placed between Monday and Friday, the remaining 34% on weekends. Deliveries concern purchases made at affiliated commercial establishments. Still few, as you can see by visiting the Glovo website: pharmacies (only one in Rome), florists, a couple of underwear chains, etc.

Marta Strinati
+ posts

Professional journalist since January 1995, he has worked for newspapers (Il Messaggero, Paese Sera, La Stampa) and periodicals (NumeroUno, Il Salvagente). She is the author of journalistic surveys on food, she has published the book "Reading labels to know what we eat".

Related Articles

Latest Articles

Recent Commenti

Translate »